Home Workout Accessories
The next gen of sporting services.
10 Things Everyone Should Know Before Starting The Gym
The world of fitness can be a scary place, and with so much conflicting information out there, knowing where to start can be overwhelming. Here are our 10 things everyone should hear before starting their journey into the world of fitness.
1. Nobody is watching you
Walking into the gym as a beginner can be intimidating, the feeling that everyone is watching you and judging what you are doing. Although thoughts like this can be off-putting, it's important to remember that everyone starts somewhere, and no one is focused on what you are doing. Everyone in the gym is focused on their own goals and workouts. If they are watching you, it's probably because they want to help!
2. Your form is more important than the weights you're lifting
This is probably one of the most important ones for anyone starting their fitness journey. It may be tempting to grab the weights and start lifting heavy, but results will not come without the correct form. Good form is vital to target the correct muscles and prevent injury. Start with light/no weight and perfect form before progressing to heavier weights.
3. Progress is not an overnight thing
No matter how much you want it, results take time and dedication. Don't let social media fool you into 'quick fixes' or 'instant results'. If you're looking to make a change, be prepared to put in the work and time. Expecting instant results is a good way to lose motivation and never meet your end goal.
4. Nutrition is key
You cannot out-train a bad diet. Exercise and nutrition go hand in hand, so it's important that you have a healthy relationship with food before starting your fitness journey.. Food is FUEL, not the enemy! Eating the right amount of protein and carbohydrates is key to reaching your goal.
5. Rest days are just as important as working out
Don't feel like you need to hit the gym 7 times a week to achieve your goals. Just like most things, exercise is all about balance. Rest days and a good night's sleep are essential for your muscles to repair and rebuild. It's recommended to have at least one rest day between training
6. Having a plan when hitting the gym
If you have a specific goal in mind, it's extremely helpful to have a plan for the gym. Having a plan to follow helps to prevent under or overtraining, and creates structure. A plan is easy to follow and gives a better understanding of the gym.
7. Keep consistent and don't rely on motivation
There will be days when you're not feeling motivated at all; we all have them! Motivation comes and goes and that's completely normal, but don't let a lack of motivation throw you off from reaching your end goal. Dedication and discipline are what will get you to where you want to be. Trust the process, and form habits that your future self will thank you for.
8. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
Great things never come out of comfort zones. Slowly pushing yourself harder each gym session is where the real results happen. When your exercises start to get easy, that's when best to get out of your comfort zone and push yourself a little harder. (We recommend doing this safely and responsibly).
9. Prioritizing stretching and mobility
Poor mobility can increase your risk of injury. If you want to reach your maximum ability and prioritize gains, prioritize mobility. Not only will it help you with your gym results, but mobility improves your overall posture and helps keep the joints healthy. Resistance bands are a great addition to stretching and mobility exercises.
10. Comparison is the enemy
One thing that's important to remember is that everyone is on their own individual fitness journey. It's easier said than done, but one of the biggest errors you can make is to compare yourself to someone else. There will always be someone stronger and fitter than you. It's not about being the best, it's about being better than what you were yesterday.
There are many things that most gym-goers wish they knew before joining, so hopefully, these tips can help someone who feels unsure about where to begin in the world of fitness.
Make sure to share this blog with your friends or anyone it could be helpful to.
Share your experience with us - Leave a comment below or post a picture on Instagram, tag @peaksupps or #peaksupps and get a repost from us!
- beginner at the gym, beginners workout in the gym, first time at the gym, Fitness advice, fitness blog, fitness help, fitness motivation, fitness tips, fitness tips for beginners, fitness tips of the day, fun fitness tips, gym advice, gym anxiety help, gym anxiety tips, gym blog, gym newbies, gym tips, how to overcome gym anxiety, mobility, mobility for working out, mobility stretching, new at the gym advice, new gym advice, new in the gym tips, new to weight lifting tips, overcome gym anxiety, starting the gym tips, stretching tips, things i wish i knew before my fitness journey, things i wish i knew before starting the gym, weightlifting advice, weightlifting tips, why mobility is important, why stretching is important, workout for beginners, workout motivation, workout tips for beginners