Home Workout Accessories
The next gen of sporting services.
Can Magnesium Help With Sleep?
If you're someone who struggles to get a good night's sleep, you may want to keep reading.
Magnesium is typically associated with its health benefits, but have you ever thought about taking it for a better night's sleep?
This mineral has become a popular 'pre-bed' supplement. In this blog, we'll discuss the potential connection between magnesium and a good night's sleep.
What is magnesium?
Magnesium is an important mineral that is crucial for the body. It can be found in foods such as:
- Leafy green vegetables such as spinach
- Whole grains
- Supports bone health
- Supports reduction of tiredness & fatigue
- Contributes to normal protein synthesis
- Contributes to electrolyte balance
Magnesium and sleep
Insomnia is a sleeping disorder that interferes with your quality of sleep. This could be struggling to sleep at night, staying asleep, or waking up too early.
Sleep Foundation: How Magnesium Can Help You Sleep:
Research shows that magnesium may help improve insomnia symptoms. In a study of elderly patients with insomnia, taking 500 mg of magnesium daily for eight weeks improved many subjective and objective measures of insomnia. The patients:
- Fell asleep faster and slept longer
- Increased their sleep efficiency, meaning they spent more time sleeping while they were in bed
- Woke up later and reduced early morning awakening
- Experienced increased concentrations of melatonin, a sleep hormone, and serum renin which plays a role in regulating blood pressure
- Experienced decreased concentrations of serum cortisol, the “stress hormone” (2).
Stress and anxiety
It was noted that increasing participants’ daily magnesium intake helped balance their sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. What are the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems? good question.
The sympathetic nervous system activates the fight or flight response, whereas the parasympathetic nervous system restores the body to a state of calm (4).
What's the best way to get magnesium in your diet?
For individuals who can't reach the recommended intake through diet, supplementation is another affective way to take magnesium.
IMPORTANT: *If you’re currently taking medication, we would recommend checking with a doctor or medical professional before taking this supplement.
* Advice is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please check with your GP before trying any remedies.
Be sure to share with anyone who may find this blog interesting!
Studies & Resources:
How Magnesium Can Help You Sleep (1 & 2)
Long-term HRV analysis shows stress reduction by magnesium intake (3)
Difference Between Sympathetic And Parasympathetic
|Vitamins and minerals (5)||https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/others/|
- buy Magnesium Bisglycinate supplements, can magnesium help with sleep, cheap magnesium, does magnesium help with sleep, drinks to help with sleep, help with sleep supplements, magnesium, magnesium benefits, magnesium bisglycinate benefits, magnesium citrate benefits, magnesium for sleep, magnesium mineral, magnesium sleep, magnesium sleep benefits, magnesium supplement, magnesium supplements, magnesium supplements uk, magnesium uk, natural sleep aids, natural sleep remedies, pre bed supplements, sleep aids, sleep remedies, sleep supplements